Saturday, June 16, 2007

on Son screen

I noticed today I had burn lines on my arms. I had been working outside and had neglected to apply any sunscreen. My t-shirt had served to keep my upper torso its pristine February hue, and dust had protected my legs, but my arms are now a delightful shade of pink. The other consequence of failing to protect myself is a slight burning which I know will pass in time.

Then, as I was trying to forget my most recent string of shortcomings, it hit me: most everyone spends lots of time reapplying Son screen. The dirt and grime build up on our lives and we don’t feel the temporary burn which saves us from total burning later on. Only after we strip away everything “protecting” us from His brilliance, being extra careful not to reapply, can our childish whiteness be richly colored through exposure to his brightness.

But leaving oneself unprotected is painful (in the short term), and slathering on more Son block is one of those unconscious habits I have yet to rid myself of. I pray daily for the strength to truly and completely change.

~£enni

1 comment:

AcresofHope said...

Levi, that is so good! I'm glad that you are continuing to allow God to teach you and speak to you. Hope that you are doing well, brother!