Wednesday, August 15, 2007

HIS Name

Recently I began a study of the names of God and it has so encouraged me that I wanted to share a few with ya'll.

El Shaddai: All-Sufficient One, Lord God Almighty

This refers to God completely nourishing, satisfying, and supplying His people with all their needs as a mother would her child. Connected with the word for God, El, this denotes a God who freely gives nourishment and blessing, He is our sustainer. This name is used 7 times in the Bible and all in Genesis.(Blue Letter Bible) (my commentary) He is our everything and He never holds back from us! He is ALL we need for all OUR life! How often do I find myself not believing in HIS sufficiency? I find this more and more often because I allow self to creep back in. I am NOT all sufficient, only He is and only HE can provide trud and lasting nourishment and blessing.

El Olam: The Everlasting God, The God of Eternity, The God of the Universe, The God of Ancient Days

Olam derives from the root word 'lm (which means "eternity"). Olam literally means "forever," "eternity," or "everlasting". When the two words are combined — El Olam — it can be translated as "The Eternal God." This appears 4 times in the Old testament. (Blue Letter Bible) (My commentary) He is the God of ancient Days! He was there when Israel wondered in the wilderness, He was there when Jesus died on the cross, He is for all Eternity! No one else can even compare to Him. He is the God of everything and NOTHING occurs outside of His reach.

Qanna: Jealous, Zealous

Qanna is translated as "jealous," "zealous," or "envy." The fundamental meaning relates to a marriage relationship. God is depicted as Israel's husband; He is a jealous God, wanting all our praise for Himself and no one else. It is found six times in the Old Testement and always in reference to Israel. (Blue Letter Bible) ex. Dueteronomy 4:24 - For the LORD thy God [is] a consuming fire, [even] a jealous God. (My commentary) He will allow me to have NO other gods. He is my lover and my husband, but I don't approach my relationship with His like I would with an earthly husband. I wouldn't allow all these things to sneak in and become a part of our relationship so why am I okay with it with my Heavenly Lover??? He is JEALOUS and He will persistently ask for me to evaluate and tear down every other God in my life.


2 comments:

Set apart life said...

Amen, thanks Abby! So good to have a God that faithfully loves us. His name is powerful and majestic and full of terror (Psalm 29). Praise God!

Beth said...

Some verses the LORD has been pressing on my heart and quotes from my pastor... crazy... we've been discussing this lately, and it keeps coming up. I think the LORD is trying to tell me something!

Set your affection on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. -Colossians 3:2

...for you shall not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God. -Exodus 34:14

For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God. -Deuteronomy 4:24


"Anything you give your affection to before the LORD will only lead to heartache and heartbreak -- it will leave you destitute. Have no idols in your heart, which belongs to Him! The one place your heart is continually safe is in the LORD." -Pastor Jeremy

For your husband is your Maker, whose name is the LORD of hosts; and your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel, who is called the God of all the earth. -Isaiah 54:5

For I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy; for I betrothed you to one husband, so that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin. -2 Corinthians 11:2


"God's jealousy is not for Himself. God is not insecure and selfishly jealous over your attentions and affections. God is secure in Himself. He is not jealous for His sake, but for your sake! He is jealously in love with your heart and doesn't want anyone or anything to break it. And He will jealously guard what belongs to Him. So set your affection solely on Jesus Christ." -Pastor Jeremy

I am my Beloved's, and His desire is for me. -Song of Solomon 7:10

Listen! My Beloved! Behold, He is coming, climbing on the mountains, leaping on the hills! -Song of Solomon 2:8

Whom have I in heaven but You? And with You, I desire nothing on earth. -Psalm 73:25