Sunday, November 18, 2007

Are you hungry? If you are, it’s a good thing! It shows you have a good appetite and your preparing for a wonderful filling. If you’re not, well...either you’ve just had dinner, you’ve been over indulging or something’s not working right.

Physical hunger is a natural part of who we are...and it is the gauge that reminds us to "keep eating" so that we will stay alive. But what about your Spiritual Hunger? Is that gauge working properly, or does it need to be taken to the doctor for an exam?

As I’ve been thinking about the meaning of "Thanksgiving" and "Food" (which enevitably go together as we prepare for the Holiday that is just around the corner), I decided to do a Bible word study on the topics of "Hunger, Being filled, and Thankfulness." And, as to be expected, what a rich treasure trove I discovered!

Often in my walk with God, while I am very fulfilled and satisfied, when I stop to think about it, I realize I’m still always HUNGRY!! Hungry for more time with Him, more time in His word, more of His truth. And to be honest, I’ve not always seen that as a positive feeling. What’s wrong with me? Is it that I’m not taking enough time for Him, not spending enough time memorizing and studying, not taking enough time for prayer? While I admit that these things are constant struggles for me (after all, the devil is working overtime to make sure we don’t get any more time with God than he can possibly help). As I studied, I realized with joyfulness in a new way, that the feelings of hunger and need that I often feel are good! They show that my spiritual digestive tract is functioning properly, and that I still have room to be filled. If there’s no room, there’s no filling!

As we are told in Matthew five, "Blessed are they which hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled." Those that have stuffed themselves with the rich delicacies of the world though, aren’t going to fare so well when it comes to God’s kingdom. In fact, God will actually send them away empty. "He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away." Luke 1:53 Can you imagine standing before God’s throne and being turned away empty? I imagine (with horror, I might add) God saying softly with tears in His eyes, "I’m sorry my child...you haven’t left room in your life for me...you are already full with the cheap treasures of the world ...there’s nothing I can give you!"

Thankfully, as long as we keep seeking and searching and hungering for Him...those words will never be spoken to us. We are encouraged to "Taste and see that the Lord is good. Blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Ps 34:8. "For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness." Ps 107:9 "The young lions do lack and suffer hunger, but they that seek the Lord shall not want [lack] any good thing." Ps 34:10

We don’t have to have spiritual currency [good works or a perfect life] to exchange for this living food. We couldn’t afford it even if we did have the currency! Our greatest argument in favor of receiving God’s eternal food is because we are HUNGRY and we HAVE NEED to be fed! "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price." Isa 55:1 God longs to fill us! He longs to pour out spiritual blessing and plenty upon us...but He can’t do it if we have no room. As the verse goes on to lament, "Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? And your labour for that which satisfieth not?" You can hear Him with tears in His voice again... "My child, my child...why do you waste your time on that which will not keep you alive? Why do you waste your time on the superficial things of life that do not truly satisfy? When I own the spiritual gold on a thousand hills, and I long to make you rich with eternal treasures...why do you waste your time on things that will only make YOU fade away? Do you think I do not have enough to take care of your hunger and needs? Do you think I don’t know that of which I speak? If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof. Ps 50:12 My child, let go of the food of the world...while it may look good on the outside, it will only bring you sickness and disease. Hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness." Isa 55:1,2 Notice - God doesn’t promise that your body will be fat, He promises that your soul will be fat! Now that’s the fat I’d really like to be! ;-)

So, as I learned in a fresh way today...Hunger is a good thing...as long as it keeps drawing me to feed more and more upon the bread of life. In fact, as long as we live in this world, we are going to continue to hunger. However, I’m encouraged to learn that one day...we wont hunger anymore. Why? Because we will live with the bread of life! How incredible is that? "They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes." Rev 7:16,17

Just think...Not a Thanksgiving only one day out of the year...but a Thanksgiving every day...for the rest of our lives!

"And the years of eternity, as they roll, will bring richer and still more glorious revelations of God and of Christ. As knowledge is progressive, so will love, reverence and happiness increase..." GC 678 I imagine I could also safely add..."So will our spiritual stomachs also increase." While we will no longer feel lack or hunger, there will always be room for more!!!

Now that's a true reason for THANKSGIVING!!!

No comments: