Thursday, December 13, 2007

Reflections on Life and Death

One week ago, a women's drama team was practicing to present the Christmas story in a new way. Written from the perspective of Mary as an old woman reminiscing about the events surrounding the angel's visit and her trip to see Elizabeth, one of the parts was that of Mary's mother. In one of the scenes, she was struggling with the fact that her daughter may be stoned because she was pregnant out of wedlock. She found herself falling on God's grace to enable her to trust Him with her daughter no matter what.
Two days after the performance that same woman found herself in a similar situation; this time in real life. Her oldest son lay dying in a hospital and no one really knew what was wrong with him. I saw the agony on her face as I played opposite her last Friday night, and I can only imagine the agony she felt in real life. That story is still unfolding, but her son now seems to be on the long road to recovery. I don't know if she has had time yet to reflect on the similarities between her situation now and the one she played a part of only days before.

Mary was chosen by God for the incredible joy and unimaginable pain of being the mother of Jesus. When she was carrying Him did she even think about the fact that Satan wanted that baby dead; and maybe even her too? Was she frightened by the realization of the responsibility of raising the Son of God? Did she even imagine that on day she would stand on a hill and watch Him die for her? When she was watching Him die did she wish that she could take his place? I don't know, but have any of you thought about what it would take to die for someone else?
When I was praying for this family this week, a thought crossed my mind. I was begging God to spare this boy's life, but what if God had asked me to take his place? Could I do it? If I knew that I would have to die for hinm to live, would I still have prayed as passionately as I did? I honestly don't know.


I have to admit that I don't want to die any time soon. There are things I want to do, places to go, people to meet. I want to finish college, get married someday, and have a family. I love the things of this world more than the thought of being in the presence of Jesus forever. This is not where I want to be, but it's where I am. I am not ready to die, nor am I ready for the Rapture, but I want to be.
How about you? Are you ready to give up this life for the next?
Jesus came to die for us, so that we may live with Him. That is the real reason for the season. Just think about it.

Brenda



1 comment:

maybe said...

I'm appreciate your writing skill.Please keep on working hard.^^